November 27, 2011

Smashbox Limitless Lip Stain & Color Seal Balm: swatches, pics, review

Hello, Beautiful!

I recently tried out the Smashbox Limitless Lip Stain & Color Seal Balm in the shade Nude. I've been searching for a new lip stain to try and since Smashbox is a brand I trust when it comes to lip products I decided to give theirs a try.

Check out my pics, swatches, stats and review...

Smashbox Limitless Lip Stain & Color Seal Balm
Shade: Nude
Shade Description: A nude brown; no shimmer.






















Basic stats for Smashbox Limitless Lip Stain & Color Seal Balm:
Formula: pen-style lip stain on one end; stick balm on the other
Coverage: medium to full color
Wear: long wear
Shade Info: 6 shades available
Cost/Availability: $23 (0.08 oz [lip stain]/0.05 oz [balm] full size). Available on the Smashbox website, Sephora's website, Ulta's website, and other Smashbox retailers.
Packaging: pen-style; one side with pen-tip applicator color stain; other side with stick style color balm
My Rating: 4 out of 5 Kisses


Formula:
Two-in-one lip stain & balm. The lip stain is feather-resistant color that won't budge for up to 8 hours. The lip balm is very emollient and can be worn over the stain or even alone for a sheer wash of color.

Coverage:
Medium to full color from the stain; sheer color from the balm. I've read a lot of reviews that use the word "vivid" to describe the pink and red shades.


Wear:
This is a long-wear product that can wear for up to 8 hours (the stain can; not the balm). Like all long-wear lip products, the length of wear will depend on your lifestyle (talking, eating, drinking, etc.). To get maximum wear I suggest making sure your lips are free of all other products (no balms on ahead of time), then apply your lip stain and wait until it is completely dry (about 2 minutes). Blot if necessary, then apply the balm. Re-apply the balm throughout the day as needed to add hydration back into your lips and give them a subtle shine.


Shade Info:
Available in six shades. I have the shade Nude, which is not my favorite (it's a little too brown for my liking) but the shade Petal looks really pretty and may be one I try in the future.


Cost/Availability:
 $23 (0.08 oz [lip stain]/0.05 oz [balm] full size). Available on the Smashbox websiteSephora's websiteUlta's website, and other Smashbox retailers.


Packaging:
Pen-style packaging with one side having the lip stain, which is in a pen-tip style applicator. The lip stain end has a unique cap to help prevent drying out. The other side has the lip balm, which can be worn alone but is designed to be worn over the lip stain to add hydration and shine back to your lips.


Smashbox Limitless Lip Stain & Color Seal Balm Review:
I liked this product but I didn't love it. Like most lip stains, it can be drying but the included balm is very hydrating. I actually like the balm on its own (which adds a sheer flush of color and subtle shine). This product is very easy to apply; I had no issues with feathering or uneven color. It dried pretty quickly and did last a long time (I forgot to watch the clock to get an exact amount of hours recorded, but I do know several hours went by).

The color I have, Nude, is probably the only reason I don't love this product. Usually I can pick a nude shade and it will work pretty well on me, but this nude was just a little too brown for my liking. However, I did find a way to wear the stain slightly sheer (seen above in the photo of my lips) and I like that look a lot better. After experiencing this balm, I think the shade Petal may be a more suiting shade for me.

One thing I do want to mention is to make sure you put the cap back on the lip stain immediately after use. The pen-style lip stains are great for easy application, but they are known to dry out with exposure to air. Keep the lid on correctly when not in use and you'll be good to go.

Overall, I think this is a nice lip stain and balm combo. Recommended for those that like long-wear lip color and shades without shimmer.

Now let me know what you think...
What do you think of this lip stain & balm? Have you tried this? Discuss in the comments below.



2 comments:

  1. Interesting, I have never seen lip balm and a stain in the same packaging. If you don't like the color I absolutely love it ;)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)